Melbourne Commerce graduates are known for their solid understanding of business issues and processes, problem solving skills and leadership skills. They are highly sought after in a wide variety of professions in public and private sectors, ranging from investment banking and accounting through to management consultancy and marketing.
Our graduates enjoy starting salaries above the national average for accounting, business and economics. The median annual salary for Melbourne commerce graduates in 2010 was $51,000 per annum, compared with the national average of $45,000 for graduates in accounting, and $45,000 in business/economics.
In 2010, 77% of Bachelor of Commerce graduates who were available for full-time work were employed full-time within four months of graduation.
In choosing which university to attend, I decided that completing Commerce at Melbourne would place me in the best position to pursue my career, strengthen my professional network, and be able to to learn from some of the best business minds in the country. My university experience was extremely rewarding. The content of the course was intellectually stimulating and is directly applicable to my chosen field, which over the coming years will enable me to progress quickly in my career.
BCom graduate; now works for PwC Australia
Our most recent study reported that 89.5% of Bachelor of Commerce graduates are working in the private sector, 9.6% are working in the public sector and 0.9% are working in the not-for-profit sector. In addition:
- 95.2% of Bachelor of Commerce graduates were either very satisfied or moderately satisfied with their current job,
- 92.4% of Bachelor of Commerce graduates were working in an area either directly related or somewhat related to their course, and
- 92.7% of Bachelor of Commerce graduates viewed their current positions as either their desired position or a stepping stone to a desired position.
Examples of reported job titles
Advertising and Marketing Coordinator
Assistant Research Economist
Business Development Manager
Investment Banking Analyst
Joint Venture Analyst
Human Resource Services Consultant
Risk and Business Solutions Consultant
Examples of organisations employing Melbourne Commerce graduates
Access Capital Advisers
ANZ Banking Group
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC)
Australian Taxation Office
Booz & Co
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Department of Transport
Department of Treasury & Finance
Ernst & Young
GHD Pty Ltd
Goldman Sachs JB Were
Horwath Australia Ltd
JP Morgan Chase
National Australia Bank
Reserve Bank of Australia
University of Melbourne
Victorian Auditor-General's Office
- JobSearch - one of Australia's largest online job boards with information on training, job outlook and careers
- Graduate Careers Australia - career information for young people, parents, schools and industry
- MyFuture - for personal career exploration and interest clarification
- Melbourne Careers Centre
- Professional development opportunities in the Bachelor of Commerce